Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Featured Author: June J. Austin





Welcome Today's Featured Author
June J. Austin!!!


Sing Her Home 


***Blurb***

Cassidy Newberry lives in Nova Scotia, in the small town of Cold Harbour. Along with her Papa, Mama, and sisters, Corrine and Ruth, Cassidy is happy with her ‘Allot’ in life.


A terrible car accident takes the lives of her Papa and sister, Corrine. What happens after the accident will separate her from the rest of her family and leave her in a coma. She will fight for her life, and a way back to her family.

Sing Her Home is a heart-wrenching, poignant tale written from young Cassidy’s point of view, opening the reader’s eyes and taking them on a roller coaster of emotions.



***Excerpt***


Corrine and Ruth shuffled in next to me. Papa pulled out of the driveway and we left our home in the rear-view mirror. Things always looked different in the rear-view mirror, like they were a part of someone else’s life. I liked that view, liked to see things in a different way. As we drove away, I said goodbye to our home, at least our side of the yellow duplex on Poppy Court, which we shared with another family, one who was not as lucky as ours. I said see you later to the roses my mama planted, and the green grass, which always grew too long and had too many dandelions to count. Who had time for cutting the grass when you were enjoying life like we were? I used to call them my dandies and I always tried to count them. No matter if they were tall or short, fat or thin, bright yellow or pale, perfect or imperfect. I always got to seventy-two, which was as high as I could count when I was nine. When I got stuck at seventy-two, I always tried to remember what came next. When I couldn’t, I would run into the house to ask Mama, hopping from one foot to the other, trying to get her to look at me. She was usually watching T.V., a cable channel. We were the first on our street to get cable. Usually by the time she looked up at me, I forgot why I was shuffling back and forth because I was too distracted by how pretty she was. I didn’t know how old Mama was, but she looked like a teenager to me. Every time I left I said goodbye and see you later to it all. If only I knew how fast it would be gone, I would have said a longer goodbye and a more heartfelt see you later. But we can’t know these things in life, I guess. Mama used to say that there was no telling whose shoes we’d be wearing tomorrow, only that if they were too small, it was our duty to scrunch our feet into them. And if they were too big, it was our duty to curl our toes and make them fit. That way we could always know what another friend’s travels were like. I looked forward to the day I would know what Mama meant. She was always glad to take someone else’s path and I knew one day I wanted to wear someone else’s shoes—even if they didn’t fit, because I wanted to be glad, just like Mama.

Available here: 


About June:
June J. Austin is from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. Most of her stories are set in the fictitious town of Cold Harbour, which is where she spends most of her time when she's looking to get away from it all. "Cassidy's Song", book one in the Penny Series, will be released by Beau Coup Publishing in the fall of 2014. She plans to publish more books, and to obtain a diploma in Library and Information Technology.








Twitter: June J. Austin @CassNewberry


No comments:

Post a Comment