Sunday, March 19, 2017

Featured Author: Andrew Goenner

Welcome Today's Featured Author
 Andrew Goenner!!



Wolf's Clothing (Shadows of Rolling Pointe)


Declan Pace is a grifter with an abusive past. He moves from town to town, using his ability to see into the minds of his marks to pick out rich, lonely women to bilk out of their fortune. Everything is going well for Declan until he meets Jill, a street girl with her own dark past. Suddenly he finds himself on the run, thrown into a fight against a supernatural cult that has ties with both of them, as well as Declan's all-but-forgotten childhood home. Searching for answers and a way to rid himself of the shadows of his past, Declan finds himself drawn closer and closer to a place he swore he would never return to... Rolling Pointe, Minnesota.




Author Andrew Goenner:
Andrew Goenner has spent most of his adult life devouring stories of horror and the supernatural in all of their forms, both in print and on the screen.  When not putting words to paper, Andrew can be found leading unsuspecting groups of adventures into the depths of dark dungeons.  He has no experience in mind reading or grifting. Wolf's Clothing is his debut novel.



Interview With Andrew Goenner:
  1. Can you tell us a little about your books? 
    At the moment, it's just the one book. Wolf's Clothing was originally written for NaNoWriMo 2015, and when I first started writing it I intended it to simply be a crime novel about a grifter and it ended up taking a life of its own.  The adult scenes in the book kind of took me by surprise, and my wife got a chuckle out of it.  Every time I finished writing for the day she would get a text at work that said "Well...I wrote another one."  Somehow over the course of that month, I found my writer's voice, and it was less that of a crime thriller author and more that of a dark fantasy/supernatural adult thriller author.
     
    2. When did you know you wanted to write a book? 
    I learned to read when I was 2 1/2. I wrote my first short story when I was 4, entitled "Superchicken."  By day he was mild mannered Cluck Kent and by night he faced off against his arch nemesis, Mad Moose.  My parents still have the journal it was written (and poorly illustrated by me) in.
     
    3. Do you have a favorite food or drink you must have nearby when writing?  
    Usually I'll have a Diet Mt. Dew somewhere in the vicinity, unless I'm writing in the evening (which isn't super common these days), in which case it's a Guinness or Killians.
     
    4. Do you have a favorite spot to write?  
    We just purchased a house this summer and haven't set up an office yet.  For now, I have a dedicated corner of our very large kitchen table that is a no-go zone for everyone but me.
     
    5. If you ever experience a case of writer’s block, how do you cure it?  
    I have less of a problem with writer's block, and more with drive at times.  The NaNoWriMo deadline really worked for me, so I've adapted that to my normal writing process by setting time frames things have to be done in.  Within that frame if I can't think of what to write, I just turn my conscious brain off and start typing, knowing that I can go back and edit/alter as needed later.
     
    6. Do you work with an outline, or just write?  
    I've tried outlining in the past, but it has never worked for me.  I'm glad I don't, because otherwise what started as a crime thriller wouldn't have evolved into what it became.  I, myself, never knew from one day to the next what was going to happen in the story.
     
    7.  What is a usual writing day like for you?  How is it structured?  
    I'm primarily a stay-at-home dad with a part-time job, so it's been hard for me lately to get a ton of writing in a day.  I've accounted for that, however, by training myself to get up and hour or so before the rest of the house, making a cup of coffee, and pounding away at my computer until the alarm goes off to get everyone else up for the day.
     
    8. If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have?  
    You have no idea how many times this conversation has come up with my groups of friends.  I'm kind of an ubergeek, and my answer changes pretty much every time.  At the moment, however, I'd probably have to say the ability to split myself into multiples for periods of time.  That way I could have one of me go to work, one of me take care of the house, and a third me write non-stop.
     
    9. What are writing projects are you currently working on? 
     At the moment I'm getting general ideas for Wolf's Clothing sequel, "An Unkindness of Raven" formed in my brain.  I've also started on my first standard fantasy novel, "A Tale of Tyranthia (working title)".

No comments:

Post a Comment